Friday, August 26, 2011

And We Smiled.....


“I am sorry I kept you waiting.” Said Ruchika.

“What do you mean you kept me waiting? I knew you were stuck in the traffic.” Replied Sameer.

“Well that’s not the truth. I wasn’t stuck in the traffic.” Said Ruchika.

“Then? Where were you?” Sameer asked surprisingly.

Ruchika smiles and is really shy; she doesn’t want to answer the question. Her eyes are fixed on the ground. That’s the first time when Sameer has Ruchika so close to him. Her curling eyelashes are tickling Sameers cheek. Ruchika is in a fix if she should speak or not. Allas! She breaks the silence.

“I was standing on the opposite street. It was fun watching you so anxious. It’s the first time when somebody has hurt me so bad, but has taken an effort to make it upto me. Thank You Sameer.”

Sameer smiles and holds Ruchika a bit tighter.

“I hope its ok, if I hold you in public?” Asks Sameer

“I am hungry.” Replies Ruchika.

They both have a hearty laugh and enter the café.

The waiter in the café attends to them. He hands over the bar menu and the food menu. The waiter leaves them for a while, for them to decide the menu for the evening.

“Drinks for the lady?” Asks the waiter.
“Oh, well I will have Vodka with sprite.”

“How about you Sir”? Asks the waiter.

“I will have a large Black Dog, with soda and ice.”

“Anything to eat?”

“Yes, I would like to have a Chinese platter.” Replied Ruchika.

“And you Sir?” Askes the waiter

“Get me some chilly Paneer and vegetable fried rice. Thanks.” Replied Sameer.

“Are you a vegetarian by any chance Mr. Sharma?” Asks Ruchika.


“Yes, Ms.Singhal, I am a vegetarian, I don’t even eat eggs.”

“What? Seriously? I hope you have no issues with me being a non vegetarian?”

“Now I cant help it miss. I have already fallen for you. Just be the way you are.”

There is a long silence between them .Ruchika takes out a gift from her bag. It is neatly wrapped in a yellow wrapping paper tied with a white satin ribbon. She moves the gift towards Sameer.

“Here, this is for you.” Says Ruchika.

“For me? What is it?” Replies Sameer.

“Go ahead open it. You will get to know.” Chuckles Ruchika.

Sameer opens the wrapping paper carefully, he takes utmost care not to tear it. That’s how Sameer was. He valued his belongings. He valued his relations and moreover he valued his loved ones. Sameer was the only son to his parents. Yet he wasn’t a pampered one. He was always told the importance of new things that his parents gave him. He preserved them well too.

“This is me!!! When did you click this?” Asked Sameer shockingly.

“You remember the other day in the lecture; I was telling the participants about test shots?”

“Ummm…. No I quite don’t remember.” Replied Sameer embarrassingly.

“I clicked you then. You looked lost and I loved those expressions.” Replied Ruchika.

“Thank you so much ruch. I am very conscious infront of the camera.”
Just then the waiter arrives with the drink and the food. He serves them the food. Ruchika has her eyes constant on Sameer, she knows by now how organized he is with the way he spread his napkin on his lap, cleaned the fork and spoon, set his plate and then asked the waiter to serve.

Sameer takes the first sip of his drink and a bite from his plate.

“Thanks so much Ruch, but I have got nothing for you.”

“That’s alright Sameer. You don’t have to feel bad about it.”

Sameer smiles and they continue to talk….

To be continued…..


2 comments:

Kunal said...

Kya kahani abhi bhi baaki hai?

Pooja Cornelius said...

@kahani abhi baaki hai mere dost....