Friday, May 20, 2011

I Promise....


“Why do you cry? I am never going to leave you ever. I will come back. I promise.”
Veer Singh Rathore, Rajputana Regiment, tall, dashing, young man. Those were his very words to his newly wedded wife Suman. Suman and Veer had known each other since 20 odd years. Suman’s parents had shifted to Kanpur when Suman was a new born. Veer was 3 then. They both grew up together went to the same school, played in the same courtyard. They had many friends in common, but evenings were spent at either Veer’s or Suman’s.

Time just passed by. There came a phase where both bid adieu to their childhood and had entered a phase called, “Youth”. Both wanted to carve a niche for themselves, wanted to make their parents proud. Veer always knew which direction he wanted to head towards. Suman also knew where she wanted to be. The only difference was she thought from her heart and he thought from his soul. Veer wanted to join the army and Suman wanted to be a part of Veer’s life.

Like any other evening Suman and Veer sat on the parapet wall of the common terrace. “Suman, will you marry me and take care of me and our kids all your life?” Suman always knew this is what she wanted, but she didn’t expect Veer would say it this way,all of a sudden!!!! Suman was overwhelmed and started to dream about her life with Veer. Veer interrupted her thoughts “Summi, you know I want to join the army, don’t you?” Suman looked at him and said, “Did I tell you how much I love you for this?”

May1999, Kargil War, an armed conflict between India and Pakistan. The reason of the war was the infiltration of Pakistani soldiers and Kashmiri militants into positions on the Indian side of the LOC. Veer’s vacation was cancelled and he was called back to serve his country. Veer immediately packed and was ready to return to where he was needed the most. He met his parents and then went into the room where Summi was sitting in one of the corners, weeping because she didn’t want Veer to leave. “I will come back victorious only for you; now let me go…..”

Veer left the room, never to return…..

1 comment:

yamini said...

I liked the way you wrote it, but I did not like what you wrote. I like happys endings..

But your story telling skills need more justice.. please tell us bigger and longer stories.. will be very happy to read :)